Cogals (pronounce it correctly: kog-al) are meetings of like-minded misfits brought together by the promise of beer, preceded by a bike ride. Cogals are free, open to all, organized by our fellow Velominati and are always followed by consumption of post-ride recovery ales and merriment. These are gatherings of unbridled observance of Rule #4.
Cogals differ themselves from other group rides by the meeting the following criteria:
- First, Cogals are free, organized and supported through Velominati, though not necessarily a Keeper. Anyone is welcome to join a Cogal. Legally speaking, however, we have no involvement, so if you crash or die, it’s your own problem. Please be careful to study the route previously and take precautionary measures to stay safe.
- Second, a Cogal is a day-long undertaking that focuses 100% on the bike. The rides are categorized (Casually Deliberate, Rule #5, Rule #10, for example) but are long. This is what you’re doing today, nothing else; see Rule #4. Rides can be any length, but a minimum distance of 130km should be expected.
- Third, Cogals always include a session of Malted Recovery Beverage Consumption after the ride. Whenever possible, it should also include a pre-ride espresso.
Not all the events in The Cogals are actual Cogals. We also post rides and events that are of interest to the community, as well as Keepers Tours, which are Velominati-hosted, paid cycling Tours tailored to the tastes of a velominatus.
Any member of the community is welcomed to organize a Cogal. If interested, either post your interest below or email us with the following information:
- Date of Cogal
- Starting Address (ideally somewhere neutral, like a café or park)
- Route (MapMyRide, Bikely, or Strava)
- Ride Classification (Casually Deliberate, Rule V, Rule VV, or suggest another)
- A paragraph describing the Cogal
World Road Race Championship Cogal- Richmond, Va. USA 2015
Shockoe Espresso & Roastery, Richmond Va.
|September 25, 2015 - September 27, 2015|
4th Ontario Cogal: Tour de Fundas
Lager Shed, Dundas
|October 04, 2015|
Cogal of the Falling Leaves (VVhidbey Island)
South Whidbey Island Commons and CoffeeHouse, Langley Washington
|October 17, 2015|
||June 17, 2016|
Jon Lennard Memorial Cogal (aka @itburns)
||August 12, 2016|
| Keepers Tour: Cobbled Classics 2012 |
Kemmel, Heuvelland, Belgium, Kemmel
|March 30, 2012 - April 08, 2012|
| Asheville Mini-Cogal |
REI- Asheville, Asheville NC
|March 30, 2012|
| Madison Wisconsin Mini-Cogal |
Lakeview Community Park, Middletown WI
|March 30, 2012|