Cogals (pronounce it correctly: kog-al) are meetings of like-minded misfits brought together by the promise of beer, preceded by a bike ride. Cogals are free, open to all, organized by our fellow Velominati and are always followed by consumption of post-ride Recovery Ales and merriment. These are gatherings of unbridled observance of Rule #4.
Cogals differ themselves from other group rides by the meeting the following criteria:
- First, Cogals are free, organized and supported through Velominati, though not necessarily a Keeper. Anyone is welcome to join a Cogal. Legally speaking, however, we have no involvement, so if you crash or die, it’s your own problem. Please be careful to study the route previously and take precautionary measures to stay safe.
- Second, a Cogal is a day-long undertaking that focuses 100% on the bike. The rides are categorized (Casually Deliberate, Rule #5, Rule #10, for example) but are long. This is what you’re doing today, nothing else; see Rule #4. Rides can be any length, but a minimum distance of 130km should be expected.
- Third, Cogals always include a session of Malted Recovery Beverage Consumption after the ride. Whenever possible, it should also include a pre-ride espresso.
Not all the events in The Cogals are actual Cogals. We also post rides and events that are of interest to the community, as well as Keepers Tours, which are Velominati-hosted, paid cycling Tours tailored to the tastes of a velominatus.
Any member of the community is welcomed to organize a Cogal. If interested, either post your interest below or email us with the following information:
- Date of Cogal
- Starting Address (ideally somewhere neutral, like a café or park)
- Route (MapMyRide, Bikely, or Strava)
- Ride Classification (Casually Deliberate, Rule V, Rule VV, or suggest another)
- A paragraph describing the Cogal
Brower’s, Seattle WA
|April 06, 2014|
Graveling in Boston Cogal
Ride Studio Café, Lexington Ma
|April 26, 2014|
||June 17, 2014|
STV: The 2014 Seattle Summer Cogal
Skookum Brewery, Arlington WA
|July 12, 2014|
Jon Lennard Memorial Cogal (aka @itburns)
||August 12, 2014|
The Heck of the North is a Gravel Classic held in Northern Minnesota. The course is about 185 kilometers long, approximately 75% gravel/dirt road, with 15 kilometers of trail and as little pavement as needed to make it all come together.
The front few groups of this race go for the win, while the rest of the field simply enjoy a fun day out on the bike, riding one of the most challenging and exciting routes in the quickly-emerging gravel scene.
Mixing gravel roads and ATV trails, this race is home to some of the most innovative bicycle concoctions you’ll ever come across, from drop-bar fat bikes to race-tuned Graveur machines. Leave your road machine at home; you’ll need fast 32mm tires at least in order to survive the trail sections.
More information on the Heck of the North site. Registration is $54 before July 15; $65 before August 15; and $76 until September 15. Registration ends September 15 or once the 400 rider limit is met.
The Heck of the North is not a Cogal, but Velominati is a sponsor of the event and will be providing exclusive prizes. See you there.
Official site: http://www.heckofthenorth.com/