Cogals are meetings of like-minded misfits brought together by the promise of beer, preceded by a bike ride. Cogals are free, open to all, organized by our fellow Velominati and are always followed by consumption of post-ride recovery ales and merriment. These are gatherings of unbridled observance of Rule #4.
Cogals differ themselves from other group rides by the meeting the following criteria:
- First, Cogals are free, organized and supported through Velominati, though not necessarily a Keeper (legally speaking, however, we have no involvement, so if you crash or die, it’s your own problem. Anyone is welcome to join a Cogal.
- Second, a Cogal is a day-long undertaking that focuses 100% on the bike. The rides are categorized (Casually Deliberate, Rule #5, Rule #10, for example) but are long. This is what you’re doing today, nothing else; see Rule #4. Rides can be any length, but a minimum distance of 130km should be expected.
- Third, Cogals always include a session of Malted Recovery Beverage Consumption after the ride. Whenever possible, it should also include a pre-ride espresso.
Not all the events in The Cogals are actual Cogals. We’ll also be posting rides and events that are of interest to the community, as well as Keepers Tours, which are Velominati-hosted, paid cycling Tours tailored to the tastes of a velominatus.
Any member of the community is welcomed to organize a Cogal. If interested, either post your interest below or email us with the following information:
- Date of Cogal
- Starting Address (ideally somewhere neutral, like a café or park)
- Route (MapMyRide, Bikely, or Strava)
- Ride Classification (Casually Deliberate, Rule V, Rule VV, or suggest another)
- A paragraph describing the Cogal
200 on 100 Cogal 2013
Troy School, North Troy Vermont
|June 20, 2013|
First Annual Ontario Velominata-Only Cogal
Cafe Domestique, Dundas
|July 07, 2013|
Space Coast Cogal 2013
Bob’s Bike Shop- Dunkies!, Port Orange Florida
|July 14, 2013|
Alpine Cogal IIIV 2013
RCN Belledonne, BOURG D’OISANS
|July 17, 2013|
Second Annual Bay Area Cogal ver. 2013
Alpine Inn, Portola Valley Ca.
|July 20, 2013|
Seattle Summer Cogal 2013: The V-to-V Stage Cogal
Butter Butte Coffee Company, Packwood Wa.
|July 27, 2013 - July 28, 2013|
Portland Super Cogal V2.0 2013
Lower Lewis Falls Campground, Gifford Pinchot National Park Washington
|August 16, 2013|
Vancouver BC Cogal
Musette Caffe, Vancouver
|August 24, 2013|
||June 17, 2014 - June 18, 2014|
||June 17, 2015 - June 18, 2015|