Keepers Tour: Cobbled Classics 2012
This event has already taken place, but we are planning to do this particular trip annually, so mark this week on your calendars. See the below articles for a full account of the action.
Velominati has partnered up with Pavé Cycling Classics, based in Northern France, to offer the Velominati a chance to walk where Giants tread and pedal through the trench of Arenberg and up the devastating steeps of the Kapelmuur. To pedal with the Pros during their reconnaissance of the Paris-Roubaix route. To visit the Merckx factory, and to spend an afternoon riding with Johan Museeuw, the last Lion of Flanders.
We have several package options available: the flagship fully accommodated, all-inclusive 9 day/9 night tour (2250â‚¬), full weekend tours with or without accommodation (500â‚¬ and 250â‚¬ respectively), as well as daily tours with or without accommodation (200â‚¬ and 100â‚¬ respectively). Once booked and confirmed, we will coordinate directly to collect a down payment of 15%, with the balance due upon arrival in Lille, France. Everything is included in the packages: food, drinks, support car with spare wheels, Gent velodrome ride, Cyfac bicycles for those not bringing their own (limited sizes and quantities available), energy food, and insurance. All-inclusive packages include accommodation; packages without accommodation are also available for those living in the area or wishing for whatever reason to look after their own lodgings. All packages, with or without accommodation, include dinner and drinks after each day’s ride. People arranging for their own accommodations are encouraged to seek lodgings near Kemmel or Gent in Belgium.
Attendees of the full 9 day Keepers Tour will be greeted with a Velominati Musette stuffed with a commemorative V-Pint and V-Shirt. Given the abundance of Belgian beer, the V-Pint will be well used. We will also have a Velominati Flag to wave at the races. As a final note, a Cogal welcoming all riders will also be arranged, details pending finalization of the itinerary. Also note that only attendees of the full Keepers Tour will be eligible to ride with Museeuw and to join the Merckx Factory Tour. Weekend and Daily Tour attendees will be eligible to buy the commemorative V-Pint directly.
Preliminary itinerary, guided by Pavé Cycling Classics:
- Friday March 30th: arrival in Lille. Drive to Gent for dinner & introductions at the cottage.
- Saturday March 31th: Ride Paris-Roubaix course (at least 180km from St Quentin to Roubaix, full ride available to those who dare) – Visit of the Roubaix Vélodromes (both old and new).
- Sunday April 1st: Rest or short ride around the cottage in the Flanders area (morning) – Watch the Tour of Flanders in Oude Kwaremont and/or Paterberg.
- Monday April 2nd: Visit to Eddy Merckx factory to pay our respects to The Prophet, followed by a Brussells downtown visit (more detail to come).
- Tuesday April 3rd: Short ride around the cottage or rest and visit the bicycle museum in Beveren (Roeselare). Afternoon ride with Johan Museeuw.
- Wednesday April 4th: 2 hours practice with a coach on the Eddy Merckx Velodrome in Gent (track bikes provided). Follow the Grand Prix de l’Escaut Pro Race (http://www.scheldeprijs.be/nl)
- Thursday April 5th: Ride with the Pros on their Paris Roubaix recon around Arenberg. Visit to the Brunehaut brewery in Belgium (where our Malteni beer is produced). Tour of downtown Lille.
- Friday April 6th: Meet with AG2R Team at team hotel, short ride or rest.
- Saturday April 7th: Ride the Tour of Flanders course (150 and 200km routes available, full ride available to those who dare). Visit the Tour of Flanders museum in Oudenaarde and meet Freddy Maertens.
- Sunday April 8th: Follow the Paris-Roubaix race (taking in cobbled sectors around Valenciennes + Arenberg + L’Arbre). Depart.
For those arranging their own accommodation, search anywhere around Mount Kemmel or Mount Noir.
Please see the table below for all booking options. There will also be a Cogal Event (to be scheduled) which will be free of charge and welcomes everyone.
Bookings are closed for this event.